Day 532 – A little shelter for the night

Posted by on February 16, 2015

Day 532 / Rio Gallegos – Camping, Argentina / 40 miles (Total 14,675)


Pink flamingos for the morning ride.

Not a good night sleep. Well, I should say no sleep at all. I was in a dorm room with 3 others and my bunk buddy above me might be the worlds best at snoring. I thought it was a joke at first, but nope. All night long he shook the room with violent breathing. It was very annoying, even with ear plugs stuffed in. I finally crawled out of bed around 8 o’clock, and noticed the weather was a mess. High winds and down pouring rain was all I noticed looking outside the window. There was no chance I was staying in this city, not a big fan of it here. So, I packed up and mentally prepared myself for a rough morning.


The winds were not in my favor today

I threw on 3 layers of clothes and the gusty morning winds still pierced through them. Right out of the city, I had a face full of wind to deal with. But, a sign a head of me sparked my soul.


My first sign for Ushuaia! This really hit me hard knowing the end was is sight. 350 miles to go


The only living creature out today were these giant beetles. They appeared out of nowhere, then there were hundreds of them on the road. Every time a gust of wind would hit hard, I would watch them tumble-down the road like mini tumbleweeds.

Through out the day I was hit with strong headwinds and a crosswind. I was averaging around 6-7 mph with a nice 40 mph wind slowing me down. It really wasn’t to bad, since I have heard things can get real bad out in this area. I was trying to make it to the border crossing and maybe setting camp behind a building, since there is absolutely nothing around here


The rains came and went all day. When it did rain, it came down hard with the wind driving the water pellets into my face. Some flowers in the ditch and a few small hills was all the views today.

By 4 o’clock, I was making no progress at all with the winds picking up. I was getting a little worried that I wouldn’t make it to the border before I ran out of energy. I only had 35 miles in and my legs felt like jello. There was nothing else I could do, but to keep pushing to the border. About an hour later, I found my safe haven for the night. Out of nowhere was a bridge with a little protection from the wind. I didn’t even think twice about pushing on. I dragged the bike down and set my tent in a wild mess of wind. Got out of my wet clothes, made some dinner, and collapsed in my bed. I was sleeping hard in a matter of moments.


A little shelter from the wind, but it was still hitting hard under the bridge. Always a treat setting up in conditions like this. Plus there was nowhere to stake my tent pegs. A little creativity was needed. I searched around and grabbed the biggest rocks I could to hold down the tent for the night, with a little help of my saddlebags and bike


I have decided to travel with no fuel for this stretch of road to keep my weight down. I was in the mood for a hot meal to warm myself up from the cold, wet ride. Found some wood and cooked a nice dinner over the fire.


Comments are closed.